Archive for March, 2010

3-19-10 Mutual Aid Structure Fire

Tuesday, March 23rd, 2010

On Friday 3-19-10 1850hrs, North Warren was dispatched to assist Starbrick with an engine and crew for a structure fire at the Brookside Trailer Park. Starbrick crews made an aggressive interior attack under the command of Deputy Chief Tim Wiltsie. An engine crew from North Warren assisted with further extinguishment and overhaul. North Warren Team 1 overhauled an interior bedroom while Team 2 worked from ladders on side Charlie searching for extension into the roof/ceiling void space. Along with North Warren, Starbrick was assisted by Youngsville, Glade, Pleasant, and Emergycare.

3rd Annual Comedy Night a Success!

Sunday, March 14th, 2010

The North Warren hosted its annual comedy show to a sold out crowd. A buffet dinner was served followed by a night of comedy presented by three professional comedians. Special thanks to David Kaye, Dave Glardon, and Tony P for putting on an excellent show and keeping the audience laughing all night. Thanks goes out to all of those who attended and enjoyed the show.Huge thanks goes out to the Rudolph family for the dinner preparations. Visit the comedians websites:
Tony P
Dave Glardon
David Kaye

Change the Batteries

Monday, March 8th, 2010

This is an important time in which everyone should be reminded to change the batteries in all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in the home. Twice a year when we change the clocks remember to change the batteries in these life saving devices. Also check for proper functioning and that they are clean. You should test your alarms once every month.

According to the National Fire Protection Agency:

  • Almost two-thirds of reported home fire deaths in 2003-2006 resulted from fires in homes with no smoke alarms or no working smoke alarms.
  • When smoke alarms fail to operate, it is usually because batteries are missing, disconnected or dead

2-23-10 Carbon Monoxide Alarm

Tuesday, March 2nd, 2010

2-23-2010- At 1922h, NWVFD was dispatched to a private residence in North Warren  for a Carbon Monoxide alarm. Engine 8s crew responded to the scene with Captain Brandon Williams in command. Lieutenant M. Wadlow began the occupant interview while interior crews prepped for the investigation. Small levels of CO where found in the basement and first floor of the residence and crews found the attached garage to have a much higher level of CO present. During the interview, it was determined a car had been running in the garage for an undetermined amount of time previous to the alarm. E8’s crew used negative pressure ventilation to clear the house of CO, and followed up with a secondary investigation. The home owner was provided with a loaner CO detector and a carbon monoxide awareness pamphlet. All manpower and equipment returned to quarters without incident. See our Fire Prevention page for more information on carbon monoxide. MW